Saturday 12 May 2012

5k Training

My first official 5k race is on June 17th and I'm nervous about it... especially after my past few runs. 

I really want to run the entire race at a decent time. I'm not expecting a fantastic time by any means, but around 40 minutes would be great!

I went for a run jog Thursday evening. I was planning on going right after work, but I wasn't feeling up to it. Instead I ate some dinner and went and picked up the boyfriend at work...then I went for a jog. During the final stretch I got the worst side stitch I've ever had.. it hurt to inhale. So I cut my jog a little short. I was disappointed, but I knew that it was likely from eating dinner shortly before my run. 

This morning I had another run planned and I was hoping that this one would be the longest one yet. It wasn't.
I woke up and had eggs, toast and a big glass of water. I waited about an hour to let everything settle. When I got outside at 10am I noticed that it was pretty warm out already. Halfway through my run I felt SO hot and I eventually felt like I was barely moving so I stopped to take a walking break. As soon as I stopped jogging I felt dizzy and light headed and super hot.. not fun! I decided it would be best to cut my run short and run/walk home. I just checked the weather channel and it's already 23 degrees  out (74 for you American readers)! I'm not used to running in the heat yet and definitely think I needed more water. I do drink a ton of water, but I hadn't drank any since 9pm last night. 

Anyway, I'm pretty disappointed with both of those runs and it makes me nervous that the 5k is going to be really hard for me. That being said, I still have a month to train and if I keep running 3 or  4 times per week, I think I can do it! :)

2 comments:

  1. You'll definitely do great during your 5k! You still have a month- and you're working at it and not giving up. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The fact that you're not giving up says a ton about you and your determination. You're doing great, keep up the good work!

    Bridgette
    www.itsnoneofyourfitness.com

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!