Friday 29 June 2012

June Foodie Penpal!

Hi Everyone! 


Hope you all are having a fantastic weekend! The weather is gorgeous here and I'm likely out celebrating because it's Canada Day long weekend here in Canada :)


I participated in the Foodie Penpal program again this month. Unfortunately there were a few hiccups and my post today is missing a few key parts. 




First things first, if you've never heard of the Foodie Penpal program, here's a brief description taken from The Lean Green Bean site:

-On the 5th of the month, you will receive your penpal pairing via email. It will be your responsibility to contact your penpal and get their mailing address and any other information you might need like allergies or dietary restrictions.
-You will have until the 15th of the month to put your box of goodies in the mail. On the last day of the month, you will post about the goodies you received from your penpal!
-The boxes are to be filled with fun foodie things, local food items or even homemade treatsThe spending limit is $15The box must also include something written. This can be anything from a note explaining what’s in the box, to a fun recipe…use your imagination!
-You are responsible for figuring out the best way to ship your items depending on their size and how fragile they are. (Don’t forget about flat rate boxes!)
-Foodie Penpals is open to blog readers as well as bloggers. If you’re a reader and you get paired with a blogger, you can choose to write a short guest post for your penpal to post on their blog about what you received. If two readers are paired together, neither needs to worry about writing a post for that month.

**


Last month was my first month participating and I really enjoyed it, so I was eager to sign up for June. This month I actually had non-bloggers for both my receiving and sending penpal. Which is perfectly fine! If you're paired with a non-blogger and you have a blog, you're supposed to give them an opportunity to give a write-up about your package to post on your blog. My penpal was Thara, she has a website, but it's not quite a blog. I quickly learned that Thara has food allergies to nuts. This made things a little more challenging on my end, but it just meant that I had to look a little harder for some goodies to send ;)


This was my box for her...



The box included: 

- Diva 3 Cheese Popcorn. This is a nice light snack (I believe it was 100 calories for the bag)

- Fruit & Fruit berry bar. This bar includes only whole fruit and is very tasty!

- Chocolate Truffle Bar. I wasn't too sure if Thara could eat this because it "could" contain nuts and I wasn't sure how severe her allergy was. 

- Cajun Oven Fries Seasoning. Love this stuff! You just slice up your potatoes, mix with olive oil and the seasoning and let them bake in the oven. 

- Cajun Lime Soy Sticks (I think that's the name?) - My sister found these at Bulk Barn last year and they are sooooo good! The flavour is awsome and they're nice and crunchy. I took a picture of the nutrition label and ingredients for her too... just incase :)

- Cinnamon Honey from the local market. I was given a sample of this at the farmers market and it was delicious! 


Thara emailed me and said that she really enjoyed the box of goodies! :)

Unfortunately, I haven't received a package from my penpal yet. BUT I know that it wasn't her fault. She sent it a couple weeks ago (which is more than enough time!), so I'm pretty confident that Canada Post has screwed up somewhere (shocking!). Hopefully it comes in soon and once it does, I'll make sure to publish a post with all my goodies... I'm anxious to get it :)


The Foodie Penpal program has grown to over 1000 participants in less than a year. It's a lot of fun and it seems like everyone really enjoys it! I've already signed up for July and you still have time to sign up as well!




2 comments:

  1. How neat! All the stuff you sent sounds really yummy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG I have to say the cinnamon honey is amazing. Everyday I find a new way to eat it:)Thank you Bailey!!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!