Friday 1 June 2012

Friday Weigh In - June 1

(I can't believe it's June already!!)






Previous Weight: 261.5
Current Weight: 259
- 2.5 lbs 




I'm happy that I had a decent loss this week, but if I'm being honest, I wish it was a little more. I was hoping to see 258. Oh well!


I must say that I am feeling pretty good these days. The scale may be moving slowly, but I feel comfortable in my clothes again and I just feel lighter. A coworker even asked me on wednesday if I was  losing weight. Actually, she stated that I was losing weight lol. I just have to remember that the number on the scale isn't everything. 


Speaking of the scale, I'm having an issue with it. I've become a daily weigher and it's driving me nuts. When I lost weight back in college (when I got down to my lowest weight of 214) I didn't even own a scale. I belonged to a women's gym and the (pricey) membership included a "coach" who helped you with your nutrition, took your measurements and weighed you in every week. So I technically didn't need a scale because I would have a weigh in at the gym every week. This worked well for me and I continued to weigh myself once a week even once I was done at this particular gym. 


Last year when I finally got a reality check and realized that I had gained most of the weight back, I tried a few fad diets to get back on track. One diet in particular was the "17 day diet". Which is basically a lower carb diet that consists of three phases of 17 days. During the first phase you can only consume 2 servings of fruit before 2pm and you can eat unlimited veggies and lean meats. It really did work and weight fell off during that first phase. I started weighing myself daily just to see how much I could lose in one day. I was seeing a 1-2 lb drop per day. Exciting, right? Well the diet definitely wasn't something I could keep up with or see myself doing for the rest of my life, so I stopped. Every few months I would try it again and it would last a few weeks before I would quit again. However, the daily weighing never did stop. 


I know weighing myself daily isn't the worst thing in the world and a lot of people swear by it. For the most part it does keep me accountable, but I feel like I'm always thinking about the number and I don't like that. So my goal for this week is to not weigh myself again until next friday. It's going to be really hard, it's become almost like an addiction. I want to see how I feel come next friday and see what kind of loss I have when I don't know where I'm at throughout the week. It should be interesting. We'll see how it goes! 




Hope everyone has a great weekend! It's supposed to be cool and rainy here all weekend :(
I'm visiting with a friend after work tonight and sunday it's my boyfriend's moms' birthday. Nothing too exciting, but I'm ok with that :)


**
How often do you weigh yourself? Are you guilty of weighing yourself too often?

7 comments:

  1. Thanks for stopping by my blog! I will enjoy catching up on some of your previous posts. Congrats on a great loss! I weigh every other day or sometimes just once a week. I gain and lose a lot of water and it plays nasty tricks on my brain! Plus, now that I'm in my 40s, it's so much harder to lose!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!
      It's actually making me really anxious already knowing that I won't be weighing in until next friday. I at least want to try it for one week and after that, I'll see. I might let myself weigh in once (after the weekend) to make sure I stay accountable.

      Delete
  2. Congrats on your loss!! That's awesome!! Congrats also on the co-worker compliment--a great non-scale victory!

    I only weigh myself once a week, on Monday morning. Granted, I might weigh myself four times on Monday morning, but that is it for the week! I get too caught up in what the scale says versus how I feel if I weigh myself more than once. It's just a number, and honestly, not always an accurate one at that!

    Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Daily weighing is tough. I do it, mostly out of fear - like the saying "if a tree falls in the woods and no one is near, does it still make a sound?" I worry that unless I check daily, I won't lose weight. Totally irrational, I know. I like it because I can see how what I do daily affects my weight, but I also know that long-term/in maintenance, I want to weigh less often - weekly, maybe monthly, possibly never. It's very different for everyone, based on his/her own situation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do it out of fear too! I feel like I need to know if I made it through the weekend or a night out, etc. without gaining or if I did gain, how much and can I fix it on time for my actual weigh in. When I'm closer to my goal I'd like to go a month without weighing myself to see how I actually do.

      Delete
  4. I had it with my scale. It just recently made me angry. I know it is water weight...but enough is enough! I am backing away from that, but continuing the tracking and putting some effort in some exercise. Ignorance may be bliss.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's probably a good thing to take a break from it every so often.

      Delete

I love comments!