Wednesday 6 June 2012

Ten Days..

My first 5k race is in 10 days... TEN DAYS!


I can't believe how fast it has come. 


I don't feel ready for it. 


I'm nervous. 




I haven't actually ran an entire 5km's yet. My normal route from my house is a 2.5km loop and if I run it twice then it's obviously 5km in total. My problem is that I keep quitting after the first loop. It's hard, it's really hard, but I need to push myself past that first loop. I definitely believe that it's a mental thing and if I can just push myself to not turn down my street, I can complete the second loop. This is my goal for my friday run. I have 5 more scheduled runs until the race date (June 17) and I am determined to run at least  one 5k route before then. Perhaps this will give me the confidence that I can do it?


I have a feeling that my time is going to be close to 45min. I'm really hoping that I'm not the last person to finish. Luckily, it's also a half marathon race so a lot of people will still technically be running. I'm running with 3 other coworkers and one of the ladies runs at the same pace as me. My secret goal is to beat her ;) 


I'm praying that the weather isn't really hot. The race starts at 8:30am I believe, so if it is supposed to be hot then hopefully we beat the heat in the morning. The weather has been all over the place lately, so I have no idea what to expect. 




For all the runners and new runners out there, what was your time for your first 5k? Did you have to stop at all during the race? I hate stopping only because I fund it SUPER hard to get running again. 

9 comments:

  1. You'll do great!! I was supposed to run this weekend but fell and broke my am. :( best of luck!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no! My fear is that I'll injure myself (foot/leg) seriously while running. I had a groin injury when I first started running and all my research showed that it's a very hard injury to heal, luckily it healed in about 3 weeks. Will you continue to run while it's broker? I'm not even sure if that's "allowed" lol

      Delete
  2. You can do it, Bailey!!! Just remember to take it easy and try not to worry about your time...just worry about putting one foot in front of the other and finishing. You will feel SO great when you're done!

    If it helps, I can tell you that I had not yet run 5k before I actually did a 5k race. My longest run prior to the race was 2 miles...so, um...I think that's like 3.3k?? Everyone told me I would be fine to run the 5k the following week, and they were right!! It wasn't the easiest thing I've ever done, but it wasn't the hardest either.

    You will do GREAT!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's so motivating to read comments like this :)

      It does help to know that you hadn't run a full 5k before your race. I think the longets I've gone is just over 3 as well. I'm hoping to get in a long one tomorrow thought :)

      Delete
  3. I haven't started running again yet, but I did a little several years ago. I've only ever done 1 unofficial 5k race and while I did walk a little of it and was exhausted, I ended up finishing because adrenaline took over. I think your determination will see you through all the way to the finish line-last runner or not-you'll get there.

    Bridgette
    www.itsnoneofyourfitness.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. You can TOTALLY do this. Don't worry about the time, just finish. When you do your next one, you can beat that time. You will not be last I promise! I've done 4 5k's and was happy to just be under 50 minutes with my short legs. There were people running home from finishing in 20 minutes while I was still out there but I don't care ;) My first 10k is a month away and I'm doing the route this weekend so I don't have so much anxiety about it! GOOD LUCK and keep us posted on how you do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you so much Tina! Reading all these great comments means a lot to me.
      I know that I'll be towards the end, but I can't let that discourage me. I will definitely keep everyone posted!

      Delete
  5. Don't be nervous! The first one isn't about time, it's about getting out there and having fun and conquering the distance. You've never done it before, so no matter what, it's a personal best! ♥ Good luck, looking forward to a race recap!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! My goal is to finish and if I happen to not be the last person, even better! :D

      Delete

I love comments!